Faculty Open Position(s) =Academy of Hiroshima University=
1. Affiliation (Appointment): Academy of Hiroshima University (Marine Biological Laboratory, Graduate School of Integrated Sciences for Life)
2. Position(s) and the number of opening(s): Assistant Professor (tenure-track), one (1)
3. Commencing date of employment: July 1st, 2019
4. Terms of employment
Period of employment: Five (5) years
No reappointment or extension of employment will be offered. However, tenure-track faculty members will undergo a tenure review within six (6) months prior to completion of the term of appointment, and those who have successfully passed the review process will be granted tenure.
* Article 15-2 of "Act on Improving the Capacity, and the Efficient Promotion of Research and Development through Promotion of Research and Development System Reform" is applied to them, so the overall period required for the employer to be deemed to have accepted "the application for signing a labor contract without term" set in Article 18, paragraph (1) of the Labor Contract Act, is to be 'for over ten (10) years'.
5. Field of specialization: Evolutionary Developmental Biology of Marine Organisms
6. Teaching responsibilities and Duties
Undergraduate level (discipline specific courses): Summer Course for Marine Biology A, B, etc.
Graduate level (master's programs): Special Research for Thesis, etc.
Graduate level (doctoral programs): Evolutionary Developmental Biology (Seminar), etc.
(1) Operate and promote the project "Inter-University Hub for education" by MEXT Japan
(2) Operate and promote the education and research on the fields of development and evolution of marine organisms
(3) Classes and supervising of undergraduate and graduate students
(4) Other duties as designated by the university
* In addition to the courses listed above, he or she may be asked to teach other general education courses and/or discipline specific courses in other department(s) and graduate school(s).
Applicants must satisfy all of the following requirements:
(1)Hold a doctorate or an equivalent degree by the time the appointment begins
(2)Experiences in education and research on evolutionary developmental biology of marine organisms
(3)Detailed knowledge and experience in bioinformatics such as genome information
(4)Excellent planning and managing skills for international education projects/research projects
(5)Excellent communication skills, especially with external organizations or private sectors
(6)Teaching and writing skills in both of Japanese and English
8. Application materials required
(1) Curriculum Vitae
If you have a history of being employed by Hiroshima University (as a TA, RA, researcher, etc.) in the past five years, be sure to state all positions you have held.
(2)Resume showing career and job history
(3)Personal Statement on Education and Research
(5)Three major publications or presentations (Reprints, photocopies, or books)
(6)Name and contact information for references (Two persons)
9. Application deadline: No later than March 29, 2019 (Japan time).
10. Please send all application documents to the following address:
Dr. Kunifumi Tagawa, Marine Biological Laboratory, Graduate School of Science, Hiroshima University
2445 Mukaishima, Onomichi, Hiroshima 722-0073, JAPAN
*Print in red "Application documents for faculty open position in the Marine Biological Laboratory, Graduate School of Integrated Sciences for Life" on the envelope containing the application documents and send it by registered mail.
11. Selection procedure
(1)Selection will be made based on all application documents submitted.
(2)Interviews (face-to-face or via Skype/Video conference system) will be conducted as needed. As a general rule, we will conduct simulated lessons in English. In such cases, please note that travel expenses will be the responsibility of the applicant. Applicants who pass the initial document review will be informed of interview date, time and format.
(3)Hiroshima University promotes a gender-equal society in accordance with the legislative intent of the Basic Law for a Gender-Equal Society.
12. Employment status
(1) If you are agreeable to the application of the Discretionary Labor System for Professional Work, you are deemed to work for 7 hours and 45 minutes a day and 38 hours and 45 minutes a week. If not, working hours are from 8:30 to 17:00 (from Monday to Friday) and break time is from 12:00 to 12:45.
(2) Workdays are from Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) in principle.
(3) Holidays are Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays in principle.
13. Salary, etc.
(1) The annual salary system will be applied to successful candidates.
(Regulations Concerning Salaries of Hiroshima University Faculty Members will be applied. Regulations Concerning Salaries of Hiroshima University Faculty Members Employed under Annual Salary System will be applied.)
(2) Successful candidates may be reimbursed for travel expenses incurred for the trip from their home or former place of work to the new place of work to assume their post in accordance with the relevant regulations of Hiroshima University. For more information, please contact us.
We conduct individual performance evaluations for all Hiroshima University faculty members after their employment, numerically rate their performance, and salary and benefits are commensurate with performance indicators.
15. Employer: Hiroshima University
(1)Probationary employment period: six (6) months
(Hiroshima University Work Regulations for Employees.)
(2)Personal information obtained from application documents will not be used or provided to any third party for purposes other than the necessary procedures related to personnel affairs, salary, and welfare. Application documents are not returnable. The information of applicants who are not hired will be deleted in an appropriate manner, after the completion of relevant selection processes.
(3)All the faculty members of Hiroshima University belong to the "Academy", which is the single university-wide faculty organization, and each faculty as a member of the Academy of the University is appointed to educational and/or research organizations such as an individual undergraduate school, graduate school, research center and institute.
(4)With the aim of achieving medium to long-term growth to join the top 100 world university rankings list, Hiroshima University plans to recruit and develop excellent researchers. Furthermore, in order to make the age structure of the faculty more balanced, the University plans to implement a campus-wide initiative to provide a diverse group of faculty members?especially young, female, and non-Japanese faculty members?with more opportunities to play a leading role on campus, thereby invigorating research and education activities at the University.
With this in mind, the University seeks applications from young researchers this time around.
Dr. Kunifumi Tagawa
Marine Biological Laboratory, Graduate School of Science, Hiroshima University
Tel: 0848-44-6015 Fax: 0848-44-5914